Coconut Pineapple Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
This is the only way I make my carrot cake. To me carrot cake should be fully-loaded with raisins, pineapple, coconut, nuts, and carrots.
Coconut Pineapple Carrot Cake
1 cup raisins, plumped by soaking in hot water (I usually use golden raisins but I didn't have enough golden raisins so a mix of golden and dark raisins went into the cake.)
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon allspice
4 large eggs
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 ¼ canola oil
2 ½ cups coarsely grated carrots
1 8 ounce can pineapple, drained and chopped
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1 cup walnuts, chopped
½ cup toasted coconut flakes for decorating (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 9” round cake pans.
2. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. Beat eggs until foamy, continue to beat while adding vanilla and sugar. When mixture is thick, add oil. Mix well.
4. Add flour mixture and mix just until moistened.
5. Fold in raisins, carrots, pineapple, coconut and walnuts.
6. Divide batter between pans and bake about 50 minutes or until wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Cool completely and level cake before frosting.